Monday, February 4, 2008

Get ready for more Richard Florida, the new Canadian Clipper

I was a HUGE fan of the The Rise of the Creative Class as I understood how to take the theories into action. Or more accurately, I was already working on similar theories in Charlotte and Asheville through my work with FirstRound and the Blue Ridge Entrepreneurial Council.

I got to know Richard over a few cold beverages in Greensboro, Austin (at the annual South by Southwest festival) and in Memphis when he personally invited me to participate in the Memphis Manifesto.

The message was not about creating a cool city or a cool state.
Just like you can not give yourself a nickname, you can't proclaim you are a cool place.
Or Miami and New Orleans would be different places with their economies.

The ability of a place to innovate through technology and profit from innovation was 75% of the T equation. This helps attract and retain talent.
But everyone focused on the tolerance and/or amount of nightlife of the Territorial assets.

I currently get a Google News Feed on Richard and the Creative Class and he is making huge waves in the Canadian Press. Richard Florida has left CMU in Pittsburgh and has also left GMU in Virginia and is now at University of Toronto.

Well, after The Flight of the Creative Class flopped as a book, here comes the next book.
The book Who's Your City will be released soon in March.
It seems to be an anti- The World is Flat book according to many early reviews.

I like both books. Mr. Friedman is VERY, VERY smart and has the respect of big time organizations such as Red Hat.

I know there is truth to the importance of place. There are places that I aspire to live and places where I hope I don't end up.

Hold on as it will either be the cold Canadian air or be full full of hot air. You choose for yourself.
http://creativeclass.com/richard_florida/books/whos_your_city/index.php?tab=special_offer

Be Part of the Solution! Decisions are made by those who participate!

No comments: